POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look : Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look Server Time
6 Aug 2024 00:12:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povQ&T (aka. povVFAQ) new look
From: Tom Melly
Date: 3 Sep 2002 10:22:01
Message: <3d74c589@news.povray.org>
news:3d73e4c8@news.povray.org...
> In article <3d73d046@news.povray.org> , Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg>  wrote:
>
> >   You do realize that tags like <H1>, <P>, <HR>, <I> etc are layout
formatting
> > tags?
> >   No layout means that the whole page would be one contiguous line of text.
>
> No, you are wrong.  See my other post.  They are not "layout", they are
> "structure".  I had assumed you know at least the basic terminology, but
> people not reading the manual seems to be a problem outside POV-Ray.  So I
> would recommend to RTFM now, the continue arguing ;-)

From a practical and logical point of view, IMHO Thorsten is right (although I
think his general stance is irrational ;).

There is no fixed rule about how H1, P, etc. should be displayed - H1 means top
level header, but it says nothing about how that header should be formatted.

Even table tags don't directly specify a width/height/border style/etc - it
might be fairer to think of them as switching from a word document to an excel
document, rather than as an implementation of a particular style or format. I
suppose one of the few gray areas is table borders - they look like a design
issue, but in terms of defining content, the presence or absence of a border can
make quite a difference (given that tabs and such like don't really exist in
HTML, using a borderless table for alignment is pretty much the only option,
even when, in reality, the info is not table-related).

Even tags such as <em> and <strong> only indicate that something should be
emphasised or should be strong (never really understood the distinction, but
whatthehell) - the fact that most browsers will use italics and bold
respectively is an implementation of the browser, not the tag.

The bottom line is that CSS moves design out of html where it never belonged.
Since embedding design-decisions in html seems to be what Thorsten doesn't like
(a perfectly legit. viewpoint), I'm mystified by his antipathy.